Join the Challenge – Enter Online Today!
The Oban Sportive 2021 – FAQs & Ride Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Getting to the Sportive
Welcome! We’re looking forward to seeing you! The Oban ferry terminal is approximately 0.5 miles from the start and finish of the sportive. You can find more information, including fares and a timetable, here.
For most flights, Glasgow Airport is the nearest airport – approximately 2 hours away by car.
Oban has a train station, approximately 0.5 miles from the start/finish at the Oban Distillery.
Hill Climb entrant: the nearest train station to the Hill Climb start is Loch Awe station.
The Sportive starts and finished at the Oban Distillery. Free parking is available at Mossfield – Blaze pitch corner of Glen Cruitten Road and Mossfield Avenue. Also at Oban High School, Soroba Road, Oban PA34 4JB. Both are five minutes by bike from the distillery.
Both routes start and finish at Oban Distillery. The address is Oban Distillery, Stafford Street, Oban, Argyll, Scotland PA34 5NH
About the Routes and Entry
Yes! Teams of 5 pay for just 4 places on the Sportive. For larger groups please contact us for a discount code so individual team members can enter themselves for discount rate of £28
Individual places are £35. If you are entering with a group, then your 5th entry is free (5 ride for the price of 4). All fees go to charities and good causes.
In a word – legendary! We are blessed with fantastic volunteers who provide a wide range of home-made snacks to cater for all tastes – served with a real Highland welcome. The stops also have water, electrolyte drinks, fruit and energy snacks.
The longer route is a real challenge, that we recommend for experienced cyclists only. The length of the ride and the amount of climbing ensure it is a great test of your fitness at the beginning of the season and every finisher will feel a great sense of achievement. It is a beautiful course that rewards your effort through the day. Again, we advise watching the weather in the area in the run-up to the event and you should be well-prepared on the day, in terms of clothing, food and hydration. There are plenty of stops, but we encourage riders to be responsible for themselves.
The Long Route – 87 miles Map | Profile
The short route offers a rewarding challenge for an averagely fit cyclist. Please remember that the new date of the Oban Sportive means that it is near the beginning of the season, so you will need to have maintained your fitness through the Winter and be well prepared through the Spring. We advise watching the weather in the area in the run-up to the event and you should be well-prepared on the day, in terms of clothing, food and hydration. There are plenty of stops, but we encourage riders to be responsible for themselves.
The Short Route – 56 miles Map | Profile
All routes present a rewarding challenge, but they are all equally ‘possible’ for well-prepared cyclists. If you are unsure, then we recommend the shorter Sportive – this offers plenty of climbs, and plenty of friendly well-stocked food-stops as well as breath-taking views and wonderfully quiet roads.
Oban Sportive Rules
1. The Oban Sportive is a timed cycling event – it is not and should not be treated as a race in any manner. You must register on one of the dates and times specified prior to riding.
2. You accept that participation in the Oban Sportive is entirely at your own risk. You accept that the organisers cannot be held liable for injury loss or damage as a result of participation.
3. The minimum age for participants is 16. Entrants under the age of 18 will require signed consent from a parent or legal guardian.
4. Both route options are physically demanding and take place over roads which have sections of steep climbing and descending. In places the road surface is poor. Entrants must be physically fit and capable of riding their chosen distance. Entrants who have any health issues should seek medical advice and approval for their participation.
5. It is a condition of entry that all riders must wear an approved cycling helmet. Participants must ensure that the bike they ride is roadworthy, and that clothing and equipment is of a suitable standard. A road bike with reasonably robust wheels and tyres is the most suitable type of bike. No type of triathlon, aero or clip-on handlebars are permitted. The routes are not suitable for fixed wheel bikes. Each route has 2 feed stations, however, you are advised to carry food and drink suitable for the distance covered. Entrants are advised to carry spares for puncture repairs.
6. Riders will be started between the advertised earliest and latest start times. All riders must be ready at the start at the earliest time scheduled for their route
7. All participants will be given route cards with emergency contact numbers, however, mobile phone reception cannot be relied upon. The route will be marked at junctions, with marshals present at potential danger points.
8. The rules of the Highway Code must be obeyed at all times. In particular, do not ride more than 2 abreast. Please respect other road users. On single track sections of the road please make use of passing places to allow motor vehicles to pass. You agree to follow instructions given by event marshals. Event marshals have no authority to stop traffic and are present to improve safety.
9. “Caution” notices will be posted to warn of particular hazards on the routes. It remains the individual rider’s responsibility to proceed with care at all times.
10. Support vehicles are not permitted.
11. Do not drop litter.
12. Toilets are available at the event headquarters and at feed stations. Please use these facilities and respect the local area.
13. All participants must agree to the organisers using photographs and / or video of their participation in the Oban Sportive.
14. A minimum average speed of 10 mph must be maintained. A sweep vehicle, returning to Oban, will be available for riders falling behind this minimum or abandoning the event for other reasons.
15. The Oban Sportive will take place regardless of weather and will only be cancelled, altered or stopped on safety grounds. All entry fees are non-refundable.
16. The organisers may disqualify any participant who fails to follow the above regulations.